We serve U.S. citizens intending international travel through passport issuance, while protecting the integrity of the U.S. passport as proof of U.S. citizenship at home and around the world.
One of the primary functions of the Passport/Citizenship Unit is to provide information and guidance on citizenship questions. For additional information about passports, see this page.
The U.S. Embassy in Tripoli remains closed. U.S. citizens in Libya who seek emergency assistance or routine consular services should contact the U.S. Embassy in Tunis.
U.S. citizens in Libya who seek to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, U.S. passport, or other routine service should follow the instructions on the U.S. Embassy Tunis website for scheduling an appointment, and review information for documentary requirements for each service, and associated fees. The U.S. Embassy in Tunis does not accept Libyan dinar for payment of any consular fees.
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years.
- Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify for this exception if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
- Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
All other passport rules and regulations remain in effect. The Department of Homeland Security maintains discretion to reject any bearer in accordance with 22 CFR 53.2(b)(7) and 8 CFR 235.1(b)