Location: Tripoli, Libya
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
As of March 16, the Ministry of Health has not confirmed any cases of COVID-19 in Libya.
The government of Libya has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The Ministry of Health has multiple operational quarantine sites where infected foreigners and nationals can be held in quarantine for 14 days.
The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) announced a state of emergency beginning March 14, to include the closure of schools and universities until March 30, the closure of Libya’s land and sea borders, and the cessation of all international flights through April 6. Flying ambulances, air shipping, official delegations returning from abroad, and local flights are still permitted at this time.
Travelers are encouraged to contact their airline for the most current flight information and should be prepared for additional screening and travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. For the latest information and advice for travel to Libya with regards to COVID-19, please visit Libya’s National Centre of Disease Control webpage at https://ncdc.org.ly/Ar/.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Libya.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Tunis, Tunisia
Address Berges du Lac, 1053 Tunis
Phone number: +216 71 107 000, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +216 71 107 000
Email address: email@example.com
Embassy website: https://ly.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs
Phone number: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays)
- Libya Travel Advisory
- Libya Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.