The U.S. Embassy to Libya is pleased to announce the opening of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program competition for 2023-2024. The Fulbright Program enables Libyan students to pursue graduate-level study in the United States of America. Participants also have the unique opportunity to experience life in the United States and share Libya’s unique culture and traditions with Americans. Participants are chosen through an open, merit-based competition in which leadership potential, academic excellence and the ability to adjust to life in the United States are all considered. Once accepted into the Fulbright Program, every Fulbrighter becomes part of a global network of engaged, dedicated Fulbright alumni.
The Fulbright Program provides:
- Tuition and required fees for graduate study in the United States;
- Book, equipment, and travel allowances;
- Monthly stipend for accommodations and meals;
- Supplemental health and accident insurance coverage plan;
- Opportunities to participate in Fulbright Enrichment Programs.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Must be a Libyan citizen or a permanent resident
- U.S. citizens or green card holders are not eligible to apply;
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution at the time of the program start date;
- Must have a strong academic background;
- Must be proficient in English and/or able to attend a Long-Term English (LTE) program prior to the start of the study program;
- Preference is given to students who have little or no previous experience studying or living in the United States;
- Interested applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply as are those of all backgrounds.
- Online applications are available at https://www.amideast.org/our-work/find-a-scholarship/graduate-study/fulbright/how-to-apply/fulbright-foreign-student-program-for-libya
- Applications will be accepted in most fields of study, including the humanities, social sciences, science, technology, and engineering. However, master’s programs with a clinical studies component, such as medicine and nursing, are not permitted. Medical professionals may apply for academic degrees.
- Applications and materials must be submitted through the online system: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2023/
Applicants will be required to submit:
- Translated academic transcripts;
- An up-to-date CV detailing all prior education and work experience;
- Three letters of reference, in English;
- A personal statement, in English, up to 600 words in length;
- A research proposal, in English, relating to field of study (if applicable).
- Write clearly, using professional and understandable language;
- Demonstrate why you have chosen your field of study and how you are qualified;
- Proofread all materials for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes;
- Refrain from using sarcasm, jokes, or inappropriate humor;
- Cite any outside sources used in your essays. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
Fulbright students are subject to the 212e home-country physical presence requirement, which requires students to return to Libya for a cumulative period of two years prior to being eligible for certain U.S. visa categories. (For more details please visit the U.S. Department of State Consular Affairs website.
Application Deadline is May 1st, 2022 at 11:59PM Libya Time